Samstag, 9. April 2011

Velocity Diet - 1st week review

I´m writing this while drinking my lunch- shake. Actually it feels kinda funny because it´s nut-nougat-flavour and some of you may know I´m allergic to nuts...But since those are artificial flavours I won´t die. Still, always feels funny drinking that.

Well, the first week is done and I´m starting to feel good.

Monday the 4th of April was the first day. I set myself up for a more difficult than necessary first day, because I was consuming lots of carbs up to Sunday so I got hit by a pretty big hypo- glycemic- "shock" during Monday. :-D Well, no right to complain, I knew what I was getting into...

Tuesday started worse.
I was having my first shake, vanilla cream- flavour in water (not my favourite by the way...) and while sipping I thought "3+ weeks of this..." and because of that thought, that construct I built up in my mind(!!) I almost refunded my shake, aka puked.
Well, again, no right to complain, it was all my fault.
After I got myself together again (I kept all of the shake inside as well) I started to be proactive again... I started thinking of ways to solve the problem.
I couldn´t come up with anything.
So the next logic step was to seek help from people who did what I´m doing.
My first go-to-resource was Dan John´s "Never let go".
He mentioned something about having some lemon or mint, stuff like that, with you water.
So I went out and bought some lemons (because "Coach said so..." ;-D) and... well... It was heaven. Something not tasting like a shake or water without anything else...Heaven. :-)
I think this small success was actually responsible for getting me through the first difficult days.

After that it wasn´t that hard anymore...
Sure, there are some cravings but every time when I got them I took a step back in my head and thought why I had those...Most of the time it is simply because I´m used to eat solid meals...So nothing that could really become a problem. Just a habit now to be broken.

Yesterday I was reading and was hit by a real aweful craving...Someone was cooking and I smelled the not so good odor and it was literally feeling like a flame rising inside me who needed to be fueled by food...
Fortunatly I was able to step back again in my head (thank you zen- meditation- practice) and discovered the "mighty flame" was actually feeling more like a small, cold, almost invisible flame which was consumed by itself in a split- second...
A small moment, insignificant but a huge step for me...

I even set myself up yesterday evening when going out for a drink with some of my colleagues.
While they were having cocktails, juices, etc I was sipping my mineral water, with a slice of lemon I might add. ;-)
I´m proud because two of the girls sitting next to me ordered grilled vegetables and cheese and it still was no problem, no temptation to me.
Round one for the heavy-set guy...

Today is my first solid meal. I´ll e
be consuming three of those during the four weeks, every one after one week of liquid- meals- only.

I decided to go with fresh salmon seasoned with spring onions and parsley, some steamed vegetables and a huge bowl of salad(3 different kinds) with the rest of the spring onion as well as tomatoes. Olive oil, lots of it, will hold it all together.


Well, what else to be said... I feel good, no problems with injuries or lack of energy.
I feel the need to sleep more but that´s more an instinct than being beaten down...

Sometimes during the week I realized I will be finsihing it...I´m still anticipating some serious cravings and maybe even hunger. But that is ok...I will deal with those. One at a time.


The first parts of the fotos and videos will be posted at http://www.youtube.com/user/zigarry


Train hard and enjoy every moment!
All the best,
Harry

4 Kommentare:

  1. Hi Harry,

    the last week i was often thinking about your projekt,because i'm changed my diet to vegetarian and so nutrion is a big point of my own mind....

    Respect for your strong mind and that you not break down with this projekt!!!

    It's very helpfull to read your experience to be without a solid meal,because the most of us are eat to often and to much(me included)

    Had you problems with your digestion in the last week?
    And what about your coffein consum?

    I wish you a good solid meal and i stay tuned on your way.....

    Take care!

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Hey!

    Thank you for your kind words! :-)

    This aspect of sharing experiences, supporting each other is what makes the internet that important to me.

    I had no problems at all.
    Probably because the whey-protein I use has some added lactase, so I never had problems with that protein- source since I started using it.
    Also during the VD I add flax seed to every second or third shake to keep the digestive tract busy... ;-)
    Up till now I experienced no problems at all.

    The coffee... :-D
    That´s a tough one.
    I try to keep it to one cup a day now because I felt a bigger amount wasn´t doing me any good with the empty stomach...Sometimes during stress at the clinic I have a 2nd or even 3rd but most of the days it´s just one for the sake of pure enjoyment and indulgence.

    Take care as well!

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Thanks for the quick answer ;-)

    Nice to see you without problems in your digestive...That is very important to be healthy and strong!!

    The coffee "problem" is on my list too :-)
    I try to hold the level under four cup's on day and never get one than the late evening!

    I saw your youtube vid's about the VD and must say:We are close at the same body shape :-)

    You have lost fat on your belly,that's a great start!

    See you next week.. ;-)

    Take care!

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. The trouble with coffee... :-D
    I think, as long as one has no adverse effects and still can enjoy it, not just pouring it down, it´s ok.

    I´m very curious as well how the pictures next week will be looking.
    See you then! :-)

    AntwortenLöschen