Freitag, 25. Dezember 2009

Regeneration - Not necessary talking training here

After the Christmas Endurance Training I thought i also walk you through my regeneration-day and the most important aspects.

For those who don´t want to know my whole philosophy:
-eat enough protein.
-sleep more than 8 hours.
-drink a LOT of water!
-do something to keep the blood flowing (Joint Mobility Drills, Hot Tub, a massage, go for a walk,...)

Well, now the deeper thoughts...

Why the "not necessary talking training" in the title...?

Well...
I went for a long walk today, primary to get some blood flow going in my sore hamstrings and some fresh air into my lungs.
So I took my MP3- player and started.
After about 10 minutes I shut off the music... I felt like the music was filling my head.
Those of you who know me personally know it´s almost impossible to meet me without ear-phones. The music helps me to modulate my mood, gives me the possibility to attend to myself if needed.
Today I needed an empty head, no modulation, no influence. Just my surroundings, my thoughts.

I discovered i was tense again.
Not my muscles but my mind.(Well...my muscles as well but you do a workload of 16000kg in under an hour!)

I don´t know if this is something special only I experience but sometimes I discover my mind gets tense. It feels like I´m stuck in my own head, it spreads out and tightens my forehead, my face, my chest and there you go...I´m tense all around...

Those long walks help me reflect things experienced... SOmetimes not by thinking consciously about them but by just letting my mind wander or being silent like today.

I bet everyone of you, physical active or not got those events which tighten your head.
Exams, interpersonal relations, job, family,...
Get your recovery! After a good amount of hands-on work with burn-out- patients I can tell you: IT´S IMPORTANT!!
Search and find what´s good for you and DO IT!!

We only progress by hard work. Some do them conciously, plan them. Some just got those "AHA!!" - Moments.
But like training one needs to be able to restrain oneself.
Do not eat that chocolate. Do not have another beer. Do not watch another episode of Lost, Seinfeld or whatever and go to bed!

Knowing my zodiac sign being Cancer, a friend of mine once said to me "Ah...Two steps ahead, one step back."
I guess my friend was right...That is what i, we, should practice. Being able to step back once in a while in my world of training.
Only by stepping back one step once in a while we enable us to see the whole picture and assess if me are making progress.

After the long walk through cold rain I soaked myself into a 30min hot bath. Those do wonders for you. Especially if you finish them with a cold shower.
After those I usually feel like chewed and spit out but 30min afterwards I can eat a whole cow.
By the way, I did that. ;-)
Yeah, like I said, Protein is important!

I´ll finish my regeneration with about 8 to 9 hours of sleep. And I´m looking forward to it!

Train hard and enjoy life!
All the best,
Harry

1 Kommentar:

  1. Hi there, Harry!

    I can totally sympathize with how you felt like, going outside and feeling all tense with the music in your ears.

    It's often that I feel overburdened with the external stimulus of music. I utilize the walks to get rid of all the external stimuli - as there are too many of them during the day. Newspapers, television, other people, work... it's important to take time off to introspect once in a while.

    Keep up the good work. I feel that you are doing great.

    All the best,
    Simon

    AntwortenLöschen