Mittwoch, 11. November 2009

A broad base of fitness - why and where to go from there

A man has to build the basement of his house first.

If he tries to build anything first, it will collapse with the first, small shake.

But can one live in a hole in the dirt? Can someone build a strong, solid base an then go nowhere from there?
Can one live solely with a strong base and no superstructure?

I always preach, how important a solid base of fitness is...
How one must first master basic ways of moving her-/himself, how to move external objects, how to apply force, generate power, improve energy systems, benefit from all the abilities your body already has.

If one has achieved those points, if one can take care of the own body, some amount of extrenal weight... Well... WHAT NOW?

As far as i know, there are two ways:
1)keep on improving the strong base.
2)take it over to a speciality you enjoy, and come back for regular visits to maintain health.

There are those, like myself, who just enjoy training for the sake of itself. I love pushing myself, challenge my mental capacities, adding weight, doing more in less time, watching my body getting stronger every day.
I notice the benefits in other parts of my life, but that´s just...well...a benefit.
That is what "fitness" means to me...being able to do a lot of things, not necessary world class but a whole lot better than anybody you see walking our streets.

Often people ask me, what my goals are.
Right now i got several but i do not train a certain way to achieve them as fast as possible. I just keep training and see them coming within my grasp. I wanna have a strong base first, then an excellent one.
I got, like everybody else, favourite exercises, hobbies, and they benefit from my training. But i do not train especially for them. They are part of my life. Just like training per se.

And there are those, who enjoy something in particular.
Powerlifting, Olympic Lifting, Nail- Bending, Soccer, American Football, Swimming, Endurance Running, whatever comes to your mind.
I they want to become good, they need a base, build by their sport/hobby/passion. Tecnique, the special movement-patterns, all specific.
If they want to become better, they need a good, broad base. They need the body to work with ALL HE HAS GOT!

Only if the pyramid has all the lower levels, there can be the one top stone, that forms the apex.


So wheter you wanna climb the top of your favourite pyramide or just have a nice, solid house that keeps your warm during cold weather:
Take your time to build a strong base of fitness.

Train hard and enjoy your life!
All the best,
Harry

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen